Frequently Asked Questions
Teens Interested in YES
- What is a YES Member? A YES Member (or YES Teen) is a teen who receives one or more of our services. Becoming a member is easy! Start by filling out the YES Application.
- Who is eligible to be a YES Member? All teens ages 14-20 who live within Tompkins County are eligible to become YES members and receive our basic services. Depending on what municipality you live in and space available you may be eligible for additional services that we offer.
- What kind of jobs do YES Members work? YES Members work all kinds of jobs, from camp counseling to cooking, working in a bank or school office, painting, working with kids, landscaping, farming, helping with downtown festivals, and much more. Businesses and organizations that have hired YES Members in the past include Collegetown Bagels, Primitive Pursuits, Alternatives Federal Credit Union, SewGreen, Historic Ithaca, Ithaca Children’s Garden, GIAC, Cass, and Stewart Park Day Camps, and the Youth Farm Project.
- If I get a summer job with YES, what documents do I need? To work with YES, you will need to provide your Work Permit (we keep this on file and return it at the end of the summer) and Social Security Card (we make a copy and return it to you). We will also make a copy of your school ID or drivers license. If you qualify for Free or Reduced Price Lunch, you may need to fill out an additional TSYEP form. If you are not a citizen of the United States, we may also require a copy of your Permanent Resident Card and/or your I-94.
- How do I get a Work Permit? Work Permits are furnished by your school nurse. As long as you have had a recent physical (within one year) all you have to do is fill out a form and they will give you the permit.
- I have a work permit, but it’s old. Does it still work? There are two types of work permits; one for 14-15 year olds, and one for 16-17 year olds. If you have a blue work permit but are now 16 or older, you will need to get a new green one. If you are 18, you no longer need a work permit to work
- Who pays YES Members to work summer jobs? During the summer, YES pays for over 140 teens to work at a wide variety of camps and local businesses.
- Are YES Members covered by insurance? YES does not provide work insurance for teens referred to private employers in the community. YES Teens working subsidized programs are covered while on the job, by the City of Ithaca’s worker’s compensation insurance.
- I own a local business. What benefit is there in hiring YES Members?
Our members fill out an application, provide references, complete an interview, and we match them to jobs that fit their interests, skills, and strengths. We will keep in touch with you and the YES Member(s) placed at your site, and can help resolve any issues you or the YES Member encounter during the work experience. By employing a YES Member, you help youth in the community gain experience and skills that will assist them in their future job search, and you give them valuable exposure to the world of work. By partnering with YES to offer subsidized employment, you are receiving a worker for 6-8 weeks at no cost to your business.
- I filled out the YES Application and interviewed. Now what? The next step depends on which of our services you’re eligible for. If you are applying for a summer job through YES and have provided all necessary documents, you will receive a phone call and/or letter from our office. If you are applying for school-year work opportunities, job referral services or odd jobs, we will give you passwords for members-only files on our website. You can also schedule an appointment during lunch or afterschool to work on applications or interview prep. If you are interested in working odd jobs, keep checking in with us at outreach. Showing continued interest in work will make us think of you when an odd job comes along.
- When is my time sheet due? Time sheets are due every Wednesday. Make sure that all dates and times are filled in neatly and both you and your supervisor have it signed. Many supervisors will submit your time sheet for you, but make sure you check with them to be sure.
- When do I get paid? The pay period for YES Members is from Thursday to Wednesday each week. Checks come every Thursday, starting the week after your first week of work. So if you work Monday-Friday your first week, you will get your first paycheck (for Monday-Wednesday) the following Thursday.
- What is a YES Rep? A Yes Rep is one of the best things about working with YES. Every teen who works through YES is assigned a YES Rep, a person who you can go to when you have questions or problems with your job. They can help you figure out how to get to work, resolve conflicts with coworkers and supervisors, and answer questions about your paycheck. Your YES Rep will visit you at your job on a regular basis to make sure all is going well.
- I don’t like my job/I can’t work my job anymore. What do I do? Call your YES Rep! We are here to help you through any problems that may arise. Working together with your worksite supervisor, we can help solve problems and if necessary, create a successful closure to the job. Don’t just stop showing up for work.